Five people have been severely burnt and are admitted to St Paul’s Mission Hospital in Nchelenge District of Luapula Province after their grass-thatched house caught fire.

Police Public Relations Officer Esther Katongo says the five on Wednesday 18th March 2020 at Yenga Village in Chief Kambwali’s area, came back from a fishing trip on Lake Mweru around 0300 hours and put two Petrol tanks, two Boat Engines and a few Kerosene lamps in the house.

Ms. Katongo has told Christian Voice News in Lusaka today that one, among the five, flicked a cigarette lighter with a view of lighting a cigarette as they retired to bed, but that the petrol tanks burst into flames and the whole house was engulfed in flames.

She named the five as, Nelson Lumbwe 29, Lawrence Cheba 21, Danny Masengo 27, Jonathan Kunda 35 and Longwani Mwebe 46.

And Ms. Katongo has appealed to the general public, especially the fishermen to always take safety precautions in storing fuel such as petrol and Kerosene and avoid keeping fuel inside dwelling houses.

She said the storage of such flammable liquids must be far away from any source of combustible material, in order to avoid fires.

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.